Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Love is like riding a bicycle!

you are extremely scared when u start to learn how to ride...as u slowly pick up the fine art of balancing urself against the elements of the world you slowly pick up speed! you cruise through ur journey exhilarating in the highs & the lows...!

then comes a time when u fall...u skin ur knees, u bang ur shins...ur palms sting...sometimes it's worse and u have blood to deal with...and it hurts! It hurts so much u vow never to get on the bike again...

but then you do...coz who can resist the wind blowing through ur hair...the pleasure of riding downhill in speed..the adrenaline rush...which completely wipes away the memory of the fall!

after enough of such instances, the memory stays, the hurt lingers & the ache serves as a reminder of how wrong it could all go...and slowly fear creeps in...the fear of getting on the bike...the fear that the danger of falling off is no longer worth the adrenaline...it's not worth taking that chance anymore!

So you wait...wait for the fear to dissipate...wait for ur nerves to calm down...wait for the confidence to return, to try again...

But what if u forgot how to cycle by the time the fear disappears? What if u just can't get urself to climb up and take that leap of faith??

What if u forgot how to love for fear of breaking your heart? How do u teach ur heart to let go of the fear, to trust again, to fall into the wild abandon of love??

8 comments:

Piper .. said...

the analogy is awesome! You answer your own qstn, kiddo.
Once you learn how to bike, you never forget! No matter how old or young you are - you never forget! It`s like driving - you can never unlearn! :):) And therein lies the beauty of it all :)
That said, heart breaks are a part of life. What`s important is to try and learn from them. Easier said than done - esp coming from someone who`s had relationship woes all her life! :):) But trust me on this, will you :)

P.S - I keep calling you kiddo. I hope you dont mind :)

Shiny said...

I really like this post Mish.
Speaks to the heart.
I don't know what advise I should be giving, but perhaps that if you ever feel like your falling again, you know you have friends who'll stretch out their hands to pick you up, dust your self off and try again !

Poonam J said...

Sunshine, I read this post and the previous one ...both straight from the heart, so indeed found it an interesting read. Nice analogy....someone rightly said, love is atemporary madness, its like a volcano which eruots and the subsides.Why miss out on Love, just for the fear of a heart break.Love, is never wasted. If it is meant to be, it shall stay, if not...thats the way it was meant to be...But why let anything stop you from taking this roller coaster ride.

Anonymous said...

You get up and ride the bike again because..hope remains..Hope never leaves..hope never gets left behind.

The hope to find the perfect one..the hope that he will not break your heart this time around..the hope that he will love you more that you have ever been loved.

You will find what you are looking for real soon Sunshine..I am sure of it..

Stay with it..don't give up..

Sunshine said...

@ Piper: of course i dont mind! :)

yes heartbreaks are part of life...but the point i was trying to make was i guess sometimes after uve been enough heart break - its scary to put urself out there again! to go thru those nites of extreme lonliness again...and i guess fornutaly or unfortunately as u grow older; ur self preservation matters more and u want to protect urself from any hurt!

@ shiny: babe thats prob the best i could have! knwoing that there are people around me ready to help me up as soon as i fall! *hugz*

Sunshine said...

@ Poonam: thanks for the compliment :) yes thats true...it is a temporary madness & a roller coaster ride...i guess sometimes u just realize that even tho its fun & exhilarating...it also has a huuge risk factor!

@ Comfy: yes i think you put it most aptly...its the hope we live with...the hope that the next person will complete ur dream of perfections; of happines! :)

S said...

Beautiful metaphor. Never thought of it that way :)

When I look back now, I observe I never got hurt while learning to cycle and picked up the skill quite quick. It was only when I thought I was good, that I had a bad fall. Never cycled after that.

Dont want the analogy to be right in my case :)

Sunshine said...

thanks! :)

i hope it isnt right in your case either! get out there and don't be afraid to fall :)