Monday, January 18, 2010

Hoarder!

I realized yesterday as I finished unpacking the last few boxes into my new room that I'm a hoarder! I am super fond of small knick-knacks and in the past 5 years have gathered a lot of them! Gifts from friends, past boyz, random stuff picked up while vacationing and even a few from my brother - they all lined my bay window & dresser at my old place. The new place does not have much surface for me to display all these knick knacks and I really had to get rid of some of them! I picked a few of the really old ones from my first/ second yr of university and threw them with a very heavy heart...even now as I write this I'm thinking of digging through the trash and taking them out again...coz even tho they might be old & faded, each of these tiny figurines have a story behind them! A figure ballerina gifted to me after the first dance performance in college, a Mercedes Benz logo which my brother created in his summer school, a box of drawers given to me by my best friends in college, a souvenir that I picked up on my first international trip alone with friends, and so many others which mark different chapters in my life...and I'm reluctant to throw any of them away!

But I know it's the right thing to do coz my memories are not bound by these knick knacks but rather by the people themselves, by the places I saw & by the events that happened...and no1 can take those away from me. So I'm learning to let go...to de-clutter & keep only the ones which are in the best condition. It makes me sad to throw these things but it's required if I don't want to increase the volume of my stuff exponentially...!!

Now if only I could do the same with my clothes and actually throw clothes that I have no hope of ever fitting into which I still keep for just-in-case!!! *sigh*

Its surprising how I find it easy to let go of people who need to/ have to leave and yet mourn the loss of things so much...hmmmmm sometimes I even puzzle myself...

12 comments:

Asif said...

Sunshine…you touched exactly the most critical part of human psychology. Do you like the subject of human psychology?
Yes throwing away such valuable things is very hard but even if you throw them you can’t erase such sweet memories you have had. Our heart is programmed in such a way that it will not let us forget the good moments we experience.
About the last two lines of your post, the more we speak the less it is. But I’d like to say just one thing…letting go the right and mourning the loss is much sweeter than holding on to the wrong and crying.
What do you say?
Good Luck…:)

Sunshine said...

yep human psychology def fascinates if nothing else...and i see enough manifestations of it around me everyday!

yes thats true...in time the bad fades away & ur mostly just left with the good moments...altho sometimes this makes u idealize the past to something it prob never was...so im not exactly sure if its a good thing or not...but then again i wouldnt want to feel pain all my life for something that is long gone so i guess its a plus that our minds have a sieve to filter out the bad...

but thats the paradox that i am...i can quite easily recognize & let go of the wrong, the ugly and the stuff that has to go...but somehow i get attached to the materialistic memories they leave behind...a ticket stub, past photographs, chat logs, gifts...they all become part of the stuff i cart around...and im realizing that its prob not a good idea to carry that much physical baggage around either...

well baby steps...today i threw 3 things...maybe tomm it will be more? :)

THE SAILOR said...

well.. finally u wont take all your past BOYZ as dahej.. haaha.
i know its not easy.. but thats the eternal law.. old things die n new ones grow. sometimes you just need to give them a little bit of the lethal cocktail..

Sunshine said...

what i did was throw away the physical evidence of my past...i can never get rid of them emotionally...and it that sense i will take all this as my dahej! :)

u look at this cycle as a negative thing...which it is not...its a way to move on in life...to newer greener pastures...whats past should remain there...no point in raking it up & re-living it again & again...

aayanman said...

so you have a scrapbook syndrome.! learn the art of indifference and you ll be a lighter soul...

THE SAILOR said...

well.. this is something i may not agree upon. the past shoul remain in the past. that is correct, but if we cant get rid of them emotionally, then we never truely can actually move ahead.

Sunshine said...

@ Gyanban: yep m slowly learning the art of indifference...but im also realizing that it makes for a lonely life...i think i was happier off being naive and letting my heart out there...

@ Sailor: ur supposed to get over the past emotionally...not get rid of it...the past is what makes u what u are today...how can u forget that and yet live on?

u refuse to forget the past of bbay which happened more than 500 yrs ago and yet want to purge ur past that happened a yr back? what logic is that?

S said...

how about clicking pictures of these knick knacks and preserving them instead of the objects..

almost win win situation, i say :)

Vineet said...

u have the mercedes benz...i hope u didnt throw that away...
PS. i was looking for it over the break at home...

Sunshine said...

@ S: lol that sounds like a plan.. :) i should def try that...

welcome here! :)

@ Vin: of course I dint throw it, are u insane! And ur not getting it back btw, it was my gift! :D

Unknown said...

I didnt know da word Knick Knacks.. Thanx 2 yOu..
Abt ur Post.. yOu hav 2 throw away old things 2 mak room for da New.. Of course yOu wil never b able 2 throw away old memories but dat is wat yOu want rite & Takin a pic sounds lik an Idea.. Cheers!!

Sunshine said...

hmm yep...thats exactly what i did finally..threw away some really old stuff to make space for the gazillion more that i have!

i cant believe u dint know the word knick knacks!