Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tejaswee Rao

It is unnatural for children to go before their parents. It is not fair. No parent any where in the world should be forced to deal with this sort of thing.

There is just nothing else left to say. I don't know how to deal with something like this. How does one deal with death? And that too of a bright vivacious 19 year old? A girl as old as my brother is right now. A girl just beginning her journey of life.

Death by dengue fever. Death by a stupid mosquito bite. In today's day and age, with the advancement of medicine there are still people dying of dengue fever. How? Why?

Why are thousands of dollars spent on nuclear reseach? On developing new technologies? On developing the next slimmest phone, the next smaller device to play music? How is that ever going to help someone? Why is that money, that energy, that focus not used to develop a vaccine, develop a cure for something like dengue fever?

Quick internet research gives the same answer everywhere,

"There is no specific treatment for dengue fever. However, careful clinical management by experienced physicians and nurses frequently save the lives of DHF patients.
If diagnosed and treated early, death rate can be lower than 5%; otherwise it can be upto 30%."

How is that acceptable? How is even a 5% death rate acceptable?

I don't know what to say. I did not know Tejaswee, nor did I know IHM. I admire IHM's passion on gender issues in India and mostly just love her conviction. She makes you re-think and challenge so many concepts that we often tend to have in our heads.

I generally believe that everything happens for reason but how is something like this explained? This just doesnt make any sense. I just fail to see any reason.....!!!!

My heart goes out to IHM & her family. Please think of them in your prayers....!!

5 comments:

Preeti said...

Hi,
i have been irregular on my own blog from last 3 months , but never forget to check IHM's blog and now even desigirls's blog .. and as whatever u have written here are exact my words that i exchanged with my mom on 12th . I was totally appalled ..as in an educated person , who can afford medical treatment and who even got it diagonised in a days time could not save a young life ..how helpless u feel ... if money and technology can save lives , if only we have such answers ..

you left a commnet to one of my posts long back ..sorry I havent been that regular ..will check out your blogs and am glad to know that we think alike .
--preeti

Asif said...

Sunshine, really I don’t have any words to say now after going through their blogs. Especially the “letter to the future daughter” by the young girl- So full of life, dreams and passion for future! I could not even leave a comment there on their blogs as I didn’t have the strength to say anything to her mom after such a shocking incident. I wanted to say a lot of things as my mind was full of philosophical thoughts but my heart became too heavy to say anything. Right from the time I saw this thing on your blog, my thoughts are preoccupied with the feelings of the young girl which she had scribbled in her blog post.

I don’t know why I’m coming across such blogs and such people these days. I’m regularly reading a blog whose author is a girl who is suffering from a rare disorder with which she is going to die. She is so much in love with her life. Even though she knows her condition and even though she is strong enough to deal with it, still in many of her posts she asked the readers to pray for her as if she is becoming weak at heart day by day.....but it’s inevitable. There is no treatment for her problem but still I wish somehow her problem be cured. In her recent post she wrote that she is unable to move on her legs now and its becoming difficult to even type. My heart goes out to the family members of this girl who already know that she is going to die. Just imagine the pain of those family members who are simply suffering internally without being able to do anything as there is no treatment for that condition. They are facing death each and every day, every moment thinking about the inevitable.
For a major part of my life, even I used to believe that the science has developed so much that there are hardly any diseases without treatment. But the fact remains a bitter truth that there are still many diseases and disorders which don’t have any treatment till date.

Sunshine said...

@ Preeti: welcome to my blog :)

that was exactly my point! im aware that this happens at a lower strata of society...but for something like this to happen in a family that could be mine, or my friends' - that was hard to take!

Sunshine said...

@ Asif: yea exactly - it is just so hard to imagine! the worst part was that its dengue fever...something that any of us living in the tropical countries can get so easily! the no of mosquito bites i get on average everyday is enough to make a me a risk victim!

*shudder* its just too scary to even comprehend.

S said...

I read this post long time back, but did not comment coz I did not find any words. I read IHM and her daughter's blog, and the eerie feeling seeped further in.

I am glad you wrote this post for her. TC.