Friday, December 4, 2009

Impressions

Working in a role that requires a lot of cross country collaboration, I am often on the phone with people from across different countries in Asia...one of things that helps me work better is establishing a rapport with these people! So that if and when I do need them to urgently respond to something - I can pick up the phone and call them and get a response!

Which btw despite how simple it sounds is something that not every1 can do...and i know countless people who find it to be a task to just pick up the phone and talk to the person on the other end...instead what they do is keep bombarding the person with emails after emails! seriously? its so much easier to just pick up the phone to talk to other person...rather than fuming over an incomplete or late reply! and countless people will hit "reply all" all the while arguing with someone over a basic matter which could have very easily been sorted out with a phone cal!!

Anyways I digress..

My point is that you tend to form impressions of what these other people look like based on their voices, the kind of stuff they say & the kind of stuff they don't say! (and trust me you can find out more about a person's intelligence from a 2 min phone conversation than 10 emails!)

Not having any sort of public org chart or team pictures...the impressions are all you have till u finally meet the person! One such person is this senior guy I talk to in HK. Now he is a verrry intelligent person with perfect command of English (in my experience most North Asian people don't have that good command of english!) and complete knowledge of what he is doing and where he wants the business to go! I am also a little bit intimidated by him...when I call him for something, I have to make sure I have all the background information on-hand coz he is sure to ask me 5 questions in response to my 1 questions...which in itself is intimidating but very effective! at least this way I know he has understand what I am asking and is giving me a genuine answer!

I just met him today as he is here to meet some clients...and i'm strangely deflated! I expected him to be this charming, dashing, suave young guy full of life...and well he isnt...i don't want to say anything negative coz i honestly like the guy...but this def made me think...do we set too much stock in looks? we base most of our first impressions on looks and sometimes i don't think thats a good idea...because then you might just miss the gem of a person he/she is on the inside!

maybe this is a very simplistic lesson...but its something ive only just learnt and am def gonna try to stop making my initial judgements on looks...

4 comments:

Reflections said...

I so get what u mean....and this is exactly why I dont really want to meet any fellow blogger.....I sooo know wht they r going to think when they see me.

;-(

Seriously!!!!

Sunshine said...

ohh come on! thats not true...u look pretty close to wt i had imagined! i honestly cant wait to meet u in person! :)

Unknown said...

I can Promise yOu I'm HANDSOME ;-)

Sunshine said...

hmmm well now thats debatable! :P